"I hear the drums"

Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 | | Labels: , ,




It's just a small line sung by a small choir of backing vocalists/band members. It's just a small part of an incredible song, and i don't know what it is about the line or if it makes anyone else feels the same...


The song 'Skip the Youth' starts of with an oh so eerie pulsating intro that leaves me begging for Scott Hutchison's Scottish voice to continue telling me the stories of The Winter of Mixed Drinks. When the earnest voice of the Frightened Rabbit front man can finally be heard he pours it all over the keys through a couple of beautifully miserable cry-for-help versus. A building drum beat seems to be holding together a frail fragile human spirit which is infecting me from my headphones, through my ears to my buckling knees. Then it comes, like angels of hope Grant, Billy, Andy and Gordon chime "I HEAR THE DRUMS" and it makes me want to fall to my knees instantly, eyes to the thunder clouds surrounding my world. With my bare hands I rip open the rusty cage that is constricting and strangling my taped up and plastered together beating heart and in doing so release every ounce of mid-to-late twenties angst I've been holding onto since 1994.

As the lightening crashes around me the repetition "Skip the youth, it's ageing me too fast... Skip the youth, it's ageing me too much" provides a lyrical bath for a tired soul. Scott's bellows of hopelessness seem to be winding down as the anxiety leaves and all that is left is the chaos of the drums and the traffic of Epping Road as i continue my walk home, shirt buttons in tact and a brighter world at my feet. Maybe its just me...

 

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy James Sulo Carson said...
  2. Hey Jordo, liking your writing on this one, nice pics to. Your writing has got some killer description stuff going on with it. Makes me wanna be a part of it.

  3. jordandthemusic said...
  4. Thanks mate, i was inspired by the Kaveman!

Post a Comment